Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ophelia


Ophelia
by Lisa Klien
Pages: 328
age range 14+
In this reimagining of Shakespeare's famous tragedy, it is Ophelia who takes center stage and finally gets her due. Ambitious for knowledge and witty as well as beautiful, Ophelia catches the attention of the captivating, dark-haired Prince Hamlet, and their love blossoms in secret. But bloody deeds son turn denmark into a place of madness, and Ophelia will be forced to choose between her love for Hamlet and her own life. In desperation, Ophelia devises a treacherous plan to escape from Elsinore forever...with one ver dengerous secret.
Beautiful. Absolutly beautiful.
I picked up Ophelia at a Barns n' Nobles one day by force. My mother was very firm when she "reccomended" I get a "classic". Seeing nothing of interest - Dickens, and Austen weren't working for me that day - I held up Ophelia to my mother's appraising eye.
"It's Hamlet," I told her, "In Ophelia's perspective." She took the book and read the back with judging eyes.
"Get it," she said before moving on. I rolled my eyes. In the car i pulled out the book and flipped through the first couple of pages, did I actually have to read it? From the look mom gave me, I most certainly did.
The first couple chapters were of Ophelia growing up, and by the end of the first chapter i was already sucked in. Not only was the writting lovelyand elegant, but teen friendly. While I watched Ophelia grow it was shockingly, un-boring! And when Ophelia and Hamlet met at an oppropriate age for courting, Opheliaa was so collected and sly. I loved her! (and apparently Hamlet did too).
Watching the events unfold as Ophelia and Hamlet fell in love was amazing, it couldn't have been better portrayed. By the time Hamlet, "went mad" i was too in-love with the charachters to give up on them. Though i was dissapointed when Ophelia left, the secret she held was so exciting i pushed aside my dissapointment and watched her adjust to her new life.
When i finally finished Ophelia, i was quite upset. Unfortunatly there wouldn't be a sequal - much to my dissmay. For a first novel, Klein did a very, very impressive job. I really hope to see more work from her in the future.
p.s. don't be so quick to roll your eyes when your mother tells you to read a classic.
if you liked ophelia you might enjoy:
Loving Will Shakspeare: Carolyn Meyer
Romeo's Ex: Rosalinds story: Lisa Fielder
The Luxe: Anna Godberson
I Am Rembrandts Daughter: Lyn Cullen
Duchessina: Carolyn Meyer
Aurelia: Anne Osterlund
Song of the Sparrow: Lisa Ann Sandell
A Countess Below Stairs: Eva Ibbotson
Saving Juliett: Suzanne Selfors
A Curse as Dark as Gold: Elizabeth C. Bunce
Two Girls of Gettysburg: Lisa Klein

No comments: