Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Companions of the Night


Companions of the Night
by Vivian Van Velde (that's a mouthful!)

# of pages: 224
Age range: 14+

Kerry's got a tough night ahead of her. What begins as a simple lost-and-found trip to the Laundromat turns into a nightmarish odyssey of murder, vampires, and--quite possibly--true love. Vivian Vande Velde puts a terrifying spin on what should be a typical night in a small town.

Sorry for the pretty pathetic synopsis above, I couldn't find a good one and I figured If I was going to tell you about the book anyway what's the point of typing all that!

Okay, so companions of the night starts off really well, then gets a little better, then kind of is at a standstill, then gets better, then goes down. I wish I had a line graph to show you this, imagine it, up - up - straight - straight - down - up - down. :)

It begins with Kerry going to a laundry mat at, oh, I want to say midnight? Anyways a bunch of gang guys come in dragging a cute boy with them, claiming he's a "vampire." Kerry, soft hearted Kerry, finds there claims insane 9as any normal person would) and tries to help the beaten up boy. But the gang's set on killing the "vampire" and, if need be, Kerry too. But, the two both escape and Kerry returns home only to meet the boy the next day at the end of her shift at the grocery store. (his name is Ethan, btw)

She goes home with Ethan to find her house ransacked and her father missing, and the story unfolds from there. The plot was great, and the writing was really good, but (yes there's always a but with me - don't laugh) for whatever reason I got bored with the whole thing about halfway through and wanted to finish as quickly as I could. Maybe it was because I had other books I wanted to read, not sure, but the whole "missing family" thing just got kind of blah after awhile.

The end, well Kerry's all like "I love yo Ethan" (totally out of the blue by the way which really confused me) but then she's like "But I'm not going to turn into a vampire". And then he's like "What! Then why have you been hanging with me?" and she's like "to save my family, duh!"

Though some people might love this book, I can see how they might, I personally was a little bored with it. Well, to each one's own as they say. Okay, well if you liked this book, check out...

The Silver Kiss - Annette Kurtis Clause
Midnight Predator - Amelia - Atwater Rhodes
Look for me by midnight - Mary Downing Hahn

I would library this book

Check out V.V.V. at her website: http://www.vivianvandevelde.com/

No comments: