Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Marked


Marked
By: P.C. and Kristin Cast

# of pages: 320
Age range: 14 +


The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It’s tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

Well, looking back on some of my older posts, i have to say i might have been a tad bit critical...
So I'm going to try and be nice as possible when i review this book. Okay, here goes...

This book, was fantastically, amazingly, shockingly, fantabulously...disappointing. I was so surprised that so many people liked it. I will admit, I really do like the spin the mother/daughter combo have taken on the average vampire, and the plot was really good, but... the writing was so awful that i wanted to throw the book out the window, then watch the papers burst into flames, and have the ashes be dumped off a sheer cliff into raging waters and never to be seen again.

I mean, one minute Zoey (the main character) would be all mature, and then she'd be laughing like a four year old a the word - wait for it - poop. Yeah. I think this is because you have a twenty year old writing and then a full grown adult writing too. Some of the other characters were unrealistic too, and everything was so...idk, too set up. This book had so much potential, and it's really disappointing that it never got a chance to become a really good vamp novel.

As you can see I was less critical this time around...sort of....okay, not really. But, when I read a book I absolutely love, I gush about it! I mean, if you're a good author you want me to review your book, because if I like it, then I like it.

So...if you liked Marked, then check out:

the other books in the series (betrayed, chosen, untamed, hunted)
Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead
Glass Houses - Rachel Caine
Wake - Lisa McMann

So buy it, borrow it, library it?

Borrow it (imo) it's not worth wasting gas to take it from the library, and it's not worth buying. But, if you think this will be a good fit for you, buy it! The cover art is pretty.

Meet the author's at ... http://www.pccast.net/

2/5 stars

No comments: