Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wake


Wake
by Lisa McMann
# of pages: 224
Age range: 15+
No
not all dreams are sweet.

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time
, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

Wake wasn't what I expected but I liked it, a lot. The author's writing style was a bit weird, I felt like I was watching Janie rather than being in the story with her, but it sort of worked in this book. The book was a little choppy, it's told in dates, example: May 20th 6:45, so that was different, but I needed change so it was good.

Wake didn't have as much intrigue as I would have liked, I was flipping pages alright, but not because I was dying to know what happened, I was interested, but not captivated. Janie's character and the character of her boyfriend (in the end) Cabel are strong, but the other character's fall a little flat.

I'm definitely interested in reading the second the book in the series but I can wait for it. So, If you liked Wake then check out:

Evermore - Alyson Noel
Wicked Lovely - Melissa Marr
City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare
The summoning - Kelley Armstrong
A strange and terrible beauty - Libba Bray

I would library this book

No comments: