Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Named


The Named
by Marianne Curley

# of pages: 336
age range: 12-15
Rating: 3.5/5

Ethan lives a secret life as a Guardian of the Named. Under the guidance of Arkarian, his mentor, and with the help of Isabel, his unlikely but highly capable apprentice, Ethan has become a valued member of this other-worldly corps. As the only defense against the evil Order of Chaos, the Named travel through time to prevent the Order from altering history and thereby gaining power in the present and the future. As the threat from the Order intensifies, secrets of the past are revealed and villains and heroes are exposed.


Having been a fan of Curley's other novel, Old Magic, I thought I might check out some of her other worked. The Named was certainly not as good as Old Magic, but, to some it might have been better. Personally, I just couldn't get into the book. I thought the plot was great, and the characters were well developed but I really just did not get into it. Whether that is the book's fault or my own, I'm not sure.

Review wise, The Named was a historical fiction/fantasy novel, set in modern times. Ethan is one of the "named", a person who travels back in time to make sure certain events happen. An evil organization called the "chaos" tries to eliminate the named so that the set events meant to happen don't, and therefore making history run off course and into the hands of the Chaos.
All the while, main characters Isabel and Ethan are running from a sadistic member of the Chaos who is determined to seek revenge for a cause both Isabel and Ethan are unaware of.

As I said, the plot was good. I can definitely see people liking this book, and I only gave it 3.5 stars because I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. But check it out! If you liked The Named you may be interested in:

Old Magic by Marianne Curley
Graceling by Kristen Cashore
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Uglies by Scott Westefeld
Midnighters #1 by Scott Westerfeld
The Alchemystv by Michael Scott

Visit Marianne Curley Here

-M.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm glad you liked it because I added it to my to-read list and plan to read it soon too! :) Thanks for the review, this one looks great!

Marie said...

Sounds pretty good...