Monday, July 13, 2009

THe Hunger Games

The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

# of pages: 384
Age Range: 14+
Rating: 5/5

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

The first time I saw The Hunger Games was when I was scrolling through teen books on Amazon. I saw the cover and immediately labeled the book as a "boy book" and moved on. Now, I love to encourage the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover", so I was later ashamed by my misjudgments when I heard about what a great book it was. After much pestering from my younger brother who loved the book, I finally sat down with a copy and begin to read.

By the end of the first chapter I was hooked, Collin's words were like a shiny object drawing me in for a closer look. I read and read, mesmerized by the story and words until I looked at my clock and realized it was five in the morning, no joke. So to say I liked it would be an understatement. The plot was amazing, the characters original, witty, and entertaining, and the writing was amazing, not overbearing but very put together.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an exciting new read, and if you have read the Hunger Games which I'm sure most of you have, then you should definitely check out the following books:

Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Gone by Michael Grant
The Devouring by Simon Holt
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner
Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

As most of you know the Hunger Games has it's much anticipated sequel, Catching Fire, coming out this September, but the Hunger Games is also going to be a movie, uh yay anyone!?

So check out this cool trailer for the Hunger Games book:










And, check out these other awesome covers for the Hunger Games:


















-M.

2 comments:

The Pre-Teens Guide to the Book World said...

I'm so glad you reviewed this!!

Elizabeth said...

The Hunger Games is the best book ever! I couldn't put it down after I started reading it, and I am only eleven!!!