Friday, July 3, 2009

Need

Need
By Carrie Jones

# of pages: 320
Age range: 14+
rating: 4

Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life’s been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother’s pretty much checked out. Now Zara’s living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays “safe.” Zara doesn’t think she’s in danger; she thinks her mother can’t deal.
Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn’t a figment of her imagination. He’s a pixie—and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He’s the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he’s trailing Zara.

I had been wanting to read Need for some time now, but before reading the book I was looking at some reviews for it. I was surprised to read that many people thought Need was so similar to Twilight, some even went as far to say that it was a twilight "knock off". If the story had been so similar to twilight, then I may have agreed with those reviews, but believe me, beside a few little details, Need was nowhere near like Twilight at all.

Need, has a writing style I haven't seen in a book for awhile now, it's a technique that I learned in school to write essays with, it's called "threading." Threading is when you take one idea and you "thread" it throughout the entire story, from beginning to end. In this case, Need's "thread" was phobia's, and while I liked how neat the whole book was, and how the plot was engaging and continued to move, I couldn't help but feel like the book followed the guidelines too much. If you don't understand what I'm saying, I basically mean that sometimes I felt like the book had more potential but the author was holding back.

There were a few things that could have been explained better, Zara, the main character needed more physical details (like the color of her hair!?), but besides a few little things Need was actually a very good book. I'm pretty sure this is a stand alone title, but who knows, maybe there'll be a sequel?

Need, overall was a fun and well written paranormal read. I definitely recommend it to anyone seeking something in the "Supernatural/romance" genre. If you liked Need you might want to check out:


You can buy Need on Amazon here (for only $11.50!)

visit Carrie Jones on her website here

-M.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I liked this one too! It reminded me a bit of Twilight, without the whineyness and some different paranormal elements. I liked the concept of the pixies in this book.