Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Dust of 100 Dogs


The dust of 100 Dogs
by A.S King (female, btw)

# of pages: 336
Age range: 15+
Rating: 4/5

In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with "the dust of one hundred dogs," dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body-with her memories intact.

Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.
I first came across this novel on one of my regular scrolls through Amazon (love that website) and I was drawn in by the interesting cover. When I read the back I definitely was interested, what an original plot? Plus I have a mad love for female leads in pirate books, something about the high sea's just fascinates me. So when I finally got around to reading it I was very excited.

Though the book was different than what I expected I still enjoyed it immensely. The book starts of with Emer being cursed (about 2 pages) and then immediately follows to her birth as a human after 100 lives as a dog. The book goes back and forth between Emer, the 17th century pirate, and Saffron, modern American teenager with a rocky past and a not so bright future.

With some intense sexual references and a couple (maybe a bit more...) handful of swear words the book is aimed towards older teens, but no matter, it was still great.

While Saffron tries to connect with her former self, we get to see Emer make her journey from poor Irish girl to world famous pirate - and the costs that come with it. Though Emer's lives as a dog or not prominent parts of the story they are scattered throughout the book in between chapters, which i liked because that way I could focus more on Emer and Saffron.

Reading about two different characters who are actually one may come off as difficult but it actually isn't, A.S. King makes it work with her writing. All together I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be on the look out for any upcoming YA novels by this author. So, if you enjoyed this book be sure to take a look at:

Graceling
by Kristin Cashore
Wake by Lisa McMann
Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner
Acadamy 7 by Anne Osterlund
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
To Catch a Pirate by Jade Parker
Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner
Pirates! by Celia Rees

You can buy The Dust of 100 dogs here for $9.95 or used for $1.50!

Check out author A.S. King here

-M.

5 comments:

Llehn said...

I've heard GREAT things about this book. Can't wait to read it myself!

WordVore Prod said...

I love the cover! and great review, keep it up:)

~The Book Pixie said...

This books sounds so good and I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review. :D

~Briana

Alexa said...

I'm glad you think this book is good because I've been wanting to check it out. Thanks for the great review!

Debs Desk said...

This book is on my wishlist. I cant wait to read it.
Thanks
Debbie