Sunday, August 9, 2009

Impossible

Impossible
by Nancy Werlin

# of pages: 384
age range: 14+
rating: 4.5/5

Inspired by the classic folk ballad “Scarborough Fair,” this is a wonderfully riveting novel of suspense, romance, and fantasy. Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that she is the latest recipient of a generations-old family curse that requires her to complete three seemingly impossible tasks or risk falling into madness and passing the curse on to the next generation. Unlike her ancestors, though, Lucy has family, friends, and other modern resources to help her out. But will it be enough to conquer this age-old evil?

I was expecting "Impossible" to be some old fairy tale like story, but was quite surprised when it turned out to be in a modern setting. Honestly though, that made the story even greater! Nancy Werlin ceased to amaze me as I continued chapter through chapter in her magical story.

Lucy is nothing like her mother, her biological mother that is. She is not crazy, she does not wander the streets singing strange folk songs, and she certainly will not be pregnant at 18 like her mother was. But Lucy's world changes the night of her prom when one disaster happens that leads to a world of others. Luckily Lucy has her best friend Zach (who could be more than friends) and her loving foster parents to help her get through it.

The plot thickens when a new character comes into play and shakes up Lucy's crumbling world, but he also gives her the determination to complete 3 impossible tasks that Lucy never would have dreamed of attempting. In this memorable novel, love, family, and belief come together in perfection making "impossible" a must read!

If you enjoyed this novel be sure to check out:
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
Paper Towns by John Greene
Wake by Lisa McMann
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Chains byLaurie Halse Anderson
Blue Moon by ALyson Noel
A curse as dark as gold by Elizabeth C. Bunce

You can buy this in paper back at Amazon, here.
Look at this other pretty cover:











You can also watch the trailer:




Enjoy.

M.

10 comments:

Lindsay said...

I have been wanting to read this book and after reading your review, I REALLY want to read it!
GREAT REVIEW!!!
~Lindsay

PolishOutlander said...

I loved this book too!I hope she's working on something new. And i really like both covers! Great review!

Lindsay said...

After reading your review, I made a special trip to the bookstore and bought it! Can't wait to start reading it

BookMac said...

I'm glad my review help you guys!

Happy reading!

-meg.

MUM said...

What I would give to read this book. It sounds so amazing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The book trailer is great. As for the covers, I prefer the paperback.

Marie

poodle649 said...

This book has always called to me. I will definitely have to read it now. It is on 'the list' :)

Julie said...

Awesome storyline and rating! And the paperback cover is just gorgeous! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Julie

Addicted Book Reader said...

This book sounds amazing! I love both of the covers so much. Great review : D
~Adrienne

TheKurgan said...

I've never heard of this book but it does sound very good.
Great review.

TheKurgan said...

I've never heard of this book but it does sound very good.
Great review.