Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Chosen One

The Chosen One by
Carol Lynch Williams

# of pages: 224
age range: 14+
rating: 3.5/5


Thirteen-year-old Kyra has grown up in an isolated community without questioning the fact that her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters, with two more on the way. That is, without questioning them much---if you don’t count her secret visits to the Mobile Library on Wheels to read forbidden books, or her meetings with Joshua, the boy she hopes to choose for herself instead of having a man chosen for her.
But when the Prophet decrees that she must marry her sixty-year-old uncle---who already has six wives---Kyra must make a desperate choice in the face of violence and her own fears of losing her family forever.


I always forget what religious cult type books are like until I read them, they are scary. Not the "oh my god, it's a man eating zombie" type scary but a, what if that was me type of scary.

In this book, main character Kyra does not question her family's ways until she is forced to marry her sixty year old uncle instead of her true love Joshua. It is then that she realizes that it is not ethically right to be married and bear children at thirteen, or have three wives to "go safely to heaven".

As Kyra slowly learns the secrets and lies of her community she begins to fear them, and they fear her for her knowledge. Hurt, beaten, scared, and emotionally scarred, Kyra must make the most life altering decision, one that will change not only her future but the future of many others.

The authors voice in this novel was truly amazing. I really felt like I knew Kyra, and I could feel what she was going through. At times I cringed, and at times I was scarred to flip the page because I didn't want to see what would happen next. But in the end, this book was really powerful, and eye opening. It made me want to rethink my thoughts on the Amish.

I definitely recommend this book, but be prepared because the world that Kyra lives in, is not by any means, like our own. Be sure to check out these other books:

After: Amy Efaw
North of Beautiful: Christina Chen Headly
Because I am Furniture: Thalia Chaltas
Silver Pheonix: Cindy Pon
Thirteen Reasons Why: Jay Asher

If you like this than you'll really like Forbidden by Judy Waite

If you like this book than buy it her on amazon!

Check out author Carol Lynch Williams

-M.

4 comments:

B.A.M. Book Reviews said...

Oh my goodness, your review kind got me freaked out. ha. Thats gross the whole 60 yr old uncle thing, nasty. But this sounds like an interesting read. Nice review! :]

-Arielle.

Staysi said...

Great review! I agree with Arielle. Being married to a sixty year old man, let alone your UNCLE, is a little disturbing. But it seems like a pretty original idea for a plotline and it sounds like a powerful story. I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist!

:]

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I love to get creeped out by a good paranormal, but this book sounds creepy in a way I wouldn't enjoy. Wow, powerful stuff. Great review although I'm not sure I want to read it. I'm torn but it looks worthy if I could take the content.

Leslie said...

great review! this one is on my tbr list. Ash is on my desk waiting to be read =)