Monday, September 7, 2009

Dull Boy

Dull Boy
by Sarah Cross

# of pages: 308
Age range: 13+
Rating: 4.5/5

What do you do if you can deadlift a car, and you spend your nights flying to get away from it all? If you’re fifteen-year-old Avery Pirzwick, you keep that information to yourself. When you’re a former jock turned freak, you can’t afford to let the secret slip.
But then Avery makes some friends who are as extraordinary as he is. He realizes they’re more than just freaks—together, maybe they have a chance to be heroes. First, though, they have to decide whether to trust the mysterious Cherchette, a powerful wouldbe mentor whose remarkable generosity may come at a terrible price.


I had been wanting to read this book for while, I mean superpowers? Awesome, anyone!? So when I finally got my chance to read it I was not surprised at how much I ended up loving the book, it was great!

Avery is a great main character, he may have superpowers but his thoughts are pretty much like an ordinary teenage boy, school, girls, parents, the works. His new found friends are great too, each with their own individual personalities and traits. One thing that I noticed was how developed all the characters were, it's not often that you find a book with such unique, developed, and original characters.

Ad the book goes on Avery learns more and more about his powers, and his friends powers. At the climax of the story he must make the choice between his powers and friendship, and which one is more important.

Excellently written for the YA genre, I can not wait for the sequel of this book, and trust me their will be one. Thoughts on the cover? Eh, it's okay, but not a favorite. So, if you like this book be sure to take a look at:

The Demon's Lexicon: Sarah Rees Brennan
Hero: Perry Moore
Gone: Michael Grant
Generation Dead: Daniel Waters
City of Bones: Cassandra Clare
The Named: Marianne Curley

Go buy Dull Boy here! (6.93 new hardback!)

Go visit Sarah Cross and her characters here!

-M.

4 comments:

Dani. said...

This looks really good.
I cant wait to read it.
I lovelovelove Superheros! :)
Dani.

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

Great review, I've heard some great things about this book :)

Addicted Book Reader said...

This book sounds amazing! You've been tagged : D http://anaddictedbookreader.blogspot.com/2009/09/abcs-of-me.html

Leslie said...

This one is on my tbr list! Can't wait to read it! Great review =)