Saturday, September 19, 2009

Identical

Identical
By Ellen Hopkins

# of pages: 576
Age Range: 15/16+
Rating: 4/5

Do twins begin in the womb?Or in a better place?
Kaeleigh and Raeanne are identical down to the dimple. As daughters of a district-court judge father and a politician mother, they are an all-American family -- on the surface. Behind the facade each sister has her own dark secret, and that's where their differences begin.
For Kaeleigh, she's the misplaced focus of Daddy's love, intended for a mother whose presence on the campaign trail means absence at home. All that Raeanne sees is Daddy playing a game of favorites -- and she is losing. If she has to lose, she will do it on her own terms, so she chooses drugs, alcohol, and sex.
Secrets like the ones the twins are harboring are not meant to be kept -- from each other or anyone else. Pretty soon it's obvious that neither sister can handle it alone, and one sister must step up to save the other, but the question is -- who?


I had heard a lot about this book and author, Ellen Hopkins. So when I saw it sitting on a shelf in the library I couldn't help but think, eh, why not?

I was surprised to find that the book was written in free verse, which for those of you who don't know, is poetry. Though I wasn't used to reading writing like that, I quickly got used to it and found that it made the novel even more powerful.

To say this story wasn't depressing, shocking, and ultimately eye-opening would be a lie. It is one of the most real and horrific novel's I've ever read, and it completely changed my views on people, and made me realize what an amazing life I've been given.

With strong and deep characters, beautiful writing, and a shocking ending, Identical is definitely a book to read, but, read it when your ready because there is no going back once you have started. If you liked this book be sure to check out:

Impulse: Ellen Hopkins
Glass: Ellen Hopkins
Burned: Ellen Hopkins
Tricks: Ellen Hopkins
Crank: Ellen Hopkins
Cut: Patricia McCormick
Thirteen Reasons Why: Jay Asher
Living Dead Girl: Elizabeth Scott
Wake: Lisa McMann
Wintergirls: Laurie Halse Anderson

Go buy Identical at Amazon here

Go visit Ellen Hopkins here

One other thing, my English teacher said the cover was perfect for applying her lipstick (that means it's very shiny) ;)

-M.

5 comments:

~The Book Pixie said...

I read and loved this book! I completely agree with your review, except I gave it five. lol. So far this is the only one of her books I've read but I can't wait to read the others. Excellent, concise review. I'm afraid mine was much longer cause I'm very detailed in my reviews. Maybe that is why barely anyone reads them. XD

~Briana

BookMac said...

People read ur reviews, I do!!
:c)

celi.a said...

Great review! I've been hearing good things about Ellen Hopkins recently, but I'm put off a bit by the free verse thing. I'll just have to get over it and try one!

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I've gotta say that the free verse puts me off too so I haven't read any of her books. I have heard her speak at a conference and she is very passionate about her work. A very lively lady! Glad you enjoyed her book.

Leslie said...

i've tried to read crank but i guess all of her novels are in free verse and it confused me a little bit? I don't know but i really like ur review so i might go out and pick it up =)