Friday, September 4, 2009

The Vampire Diaries: Return and Nightfall

The Vampire Diaries: Return and Nightfall
by L.J. Smith

# of pages: 592
Age Range: 14+
Rating: 4/5


Elena Gilbert is alive—again.
When Elena sacrificed herself to save the two vampire brothers who love her—the handsome, brooding Stefan and the sleek and dangerous Damon—she was consigned to a fate beyond death. Until a powerful supernatural force pulled her back.

Now Elena is not just human. She has powers and gifts that were bestowed on her in the afterlife. What's more, her blood pulses with an overwhelming and unique force that makes her irresistible to any vampire.

Stefan wants to find a way to keep Elena safe so that they can make a life together. Damon, however, is driven by an insatiable desire for power, and wants Elena to rule as his princess. When Stefan is lured away from Fell's Church, Damon seizes his chance to convince her that he is the brother she is meant to be with. . . .

But a darkness is infiltrating the town, and Damon, always the hunter, is now the hunted; he becomes the prey of a malevolent creature that can possess him at will, and who desires not just Elena's blood but her death.

I had been meaning to read this for awhile now, being a fan of L.J's work, but I hadn't gotten around to it. L.J. always impressed me with her writing because it is so fluid, and everything is always tied up. You can even read a 500+ page book, like I just did, and not even feel like it's that long.

The book picks up where the last one, Vampire Diaries: the Fury and Dark Reunion, left off. Elena, is back from the dead, only she is a spirt/angel with the mind of a child. This was a bit weird for me to be quite honest but, yeah know, I got over it. When Elena returns to her normal human self, two things happen, Stefan disappears, and she looses her amazing power.

As the group, Elena, Matt, Bonnie, and Meridith try and figure out what happened to Stefan, strange things begin taking place in Fell's Curch. There are demon wielders out there, and Damen, who is still trying to win over Elena, has become one of their victims.As Elena and her friends try to save themselves, Stafan, and Damen, they fail to recognize one final attack that could kill them all.

I enjoyed this book, as I do with most of L.J.'s work. But, I became a little bit bored at times, mainly because I felt that the story was being dragged on a tad bit to far. I mean how many adventures and trouble could one girl possibly find? Well apparently a lot because there is going to be a new book in the series come February. Filled with Romance, danger, and suspense the Vampire Diaries is definitely a series to check out, especially if you want an awesome vampire read that has a strong lead, *no offense* unlike Bella in twilight (I love it but it's getting old )

So if you like this series, or this book, be sure to check out:

The Secret Circle Series by L.J. Smith
The Night world Series by L.J. Smith
Vampire Academy Series by L.J. Smith
Evernight series: Claudia Gray
House of Night Series: P.C. Cast
Blue Bloods Series: Melissa de la Cruz
Wicked Series: Nancy Holder
Mortal Instrument Series: Cassandra Clare

Stand Alone Titles:

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side: Beth Fantasky
Shiver: Maggie Stiefvater
Need by Carrie Jones (stand alone as of now)
Eternal: Cynthia Leitich Smith

As many of you know The Vampire Diaries will now be a T.V. series which you can watch on the C.W. september 10th, I did a meme post thing mentioning it that you can check out here.

Buy Vampire Diaries here on Amazon (500+ pages and hardback for $10!)

Visit L.J. Smith here

-M.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

I really want to read this series. I haven't read anything by L.J. Smith- I've heard amazing things about him though! Thanks for the review.

Jessica Secret said...

I've read all of the Vampire Diaries series except this one. Good review, I really need to read it.

shutupimreading.blogspot.com

...MY NAME IS ELENI AND I AM A BOOKAHOLIC... said...

Nice review, I'm glad you enjoyed it...me personally I loved the books in the series except for this one, I thought it was boring and dragged, I had to force myself to finish it :/ I know bad Eleni! lol

J. Kaye said...

I'll be watching on the 10th! Can't wait!!