Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ballad

Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie
by Maggie Steifvater

# of pages: 360
age range: 14+
Rating: 4/5


Remember us, so sing the dead, lest we remember you

James Morgan has an almost unearthly gift for music. And it has attracted Nuala, a soul-snatching faerie muse who fosters and then feeds on the creative energies of exceptional humans until they die. James has plenty of reasons to fear the faeries, but as he and Nuala collaborate on an achingly beautiful musical composition, James finds his feelings towards Nuala deepening. But the rest of the fairies are not as harmless. As Halloween—the day of the dead—draws near, James will have to battle the Faerie Queen and the horned king of the dead to save Nuala's life and his soul.

After reading Lament and LOVING it, Ballad was up there on my big ole' pile of must reads. It was no surprise that when I saw the burning cover in the library that I'd have to snatch it right up. The only regrets I have is having waited so long from the time I read Lament to the time I read Ballad because I forgot a lot of the details in Lament so some parts of Ballad I was a little lost. This is definitely a book you should read soon after reading Lament, if not you might be a little lost like I was.

Ballad starts off in Jame's perspective right at the beginning of the school year where he and Dee are attending Thornking-Ash, a school for talented musicians. From the begging I was sucked in with Maggie's fabulous writing and amazing story telling abilities. Nuala, one of the new characters in the book was a favorite of mine from the start. Her spunky attitude and fearless approaches made me root for her the whole book through.

This is another great novel by Maggie Stiefvater, a great story and an awesome sequel. Go check it out here.

If you liked Ballad then be sure to check out:

Shiver: Maggie Stiefvater
Fairy Tale: Cyn Balog
Beautiful Creatures: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Fire (Graceling): Kristin Cashore
Hush, Hush: Bacca Fitzpatrick
Need: Carrie Jones (paperback!)
Wondrous Strange: Lesley Livingston
Lips Touch: Three Times: Laini Taylor

Check out Maggie Stiefvater here


-M.

1 comment:

katie said...

I loved this book too. Unlike you though I read both Lament and Ballad in a row. I definitely think it helped and I understand what you mean.

Great review!