Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Contests???

I love contests. I really do. The feeling of knowing one lucky winner is going to win something, and the fact that you made it happen, well...it's invigorating to say the least. But then there's the whole problem of giving away one of your lovely books, and having to pay (groan) to ship it out to that lucky winner, and then that feeling fades a bit, especially when you leave the post office with empty pockets.

As much as I love contests, I can't have as many as I'd like do to the fact that I love my books so much it's hard to let them go, and the fact that I'm a teenager and therefore poor.

So, I have a proposition. Monthly contests with some really cool books? (some months might have a double contest or more than one book) or an occasional mega contest for the chance to win multiple books and cool prizes?

I would really, really, really, love your input, especially because this is all for you!

Comment below, tell me what you think! I'll put a poll up on the sidebar but I'd like to hear your opinions!

Thanks so much!

-M.

8 comments:

katie said...

I understand what you mean. I hate giving away my own books but sometimes I know that I probably won't ever have the chance to read some of them again and someone else will.

And to answer your question, monthly contests would be awesome. =]

choco (In Which a Girl Reads) said...

Ooh, monthly contests sound fun!

I'm a poor teenager as well, but I think contests are worth it, especially if you hold a mega one :) I'm finally holding a mega one right now and I'm glad I am!

Sena said...

Monthly ones! Always something to look forward to :) Hope it will be international as well!

YA Vampire Books said...

I know what you mean...I wouldn't give away my own books either. I'm hosting a contest right now, where I buy books from the Book depository to the winners. The shipping is free, so the contest is open worldwide - which is great! :)

Monthly contest sounds good too me!

Fresh Dawgs' Book Blog said...

Hey, I admire the fact that as a "poor" teenager you even consider spending your money for postage to ship prizes. Very admirable.

As far as parting with books, I agree it is difficult. I usually only part with one when I have a duplicate copy, which means I don't have a lot of contests. I believe having a few is better than nothing, so keep doing what you can and don't feel bad.

RJ aka a "poor" teacher who spends all her money on books for her classroom. :-)

teenreadersgather said...

want an interview on my blog: booksaremylove.blogspot.com? Email me at princessashley9@gmail.com

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

I know exactly what you mean! I'm a teen too, so it's pretty hard, especially internationally - OUCH.
Hm, I can't really decide though. You've asked EXACTLY what I was debating myself. I'm definitely going to check back fro answers, lol. Good luck! :)

Alessandra said...

I'd say... monthly contests. Something small, maybe only one book at a time.

If you give away your own books, you don't spend money for the books, but you do for postage. If you give away a brand-new book purchased, say, at BookDepository.co.uk, you spend a bit for the book but you have free worldwide shipping (BookDepository is usually cheaper for me than Amazon, since I live in Europe and Amazon charges me at least $7 for each book I buy for myself.)

I'm not rolling in cash either, and I'm not giving away my own books - partly because I want to keep them, and partly because I prefer buying a new copy and supporting the author, rather than spend the same money (or even more) on postage cause it's getting more expensive every day.

And no, guys at BookDepository aren't paying me for advertising their site :)