Monday, December 14, 2009

Fade

Fade
by Lisa McMann

# of Pages: 272
Age range: 16+
Rating: 2.5/5

For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.
Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.
Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability -- and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared....


After reading the first book in this original fantasy/fiction series I was excited to read the anticipated sequel Fade. And though the plot sounded intriguing, to me the book just didn't live up to it's predecessor.

A couple things that bothered me, 1.) The excessive swearing. It doesn't bother me really, I mean when you're a teen you can't avoid it. But to read at least one a page got annoying at times.
2.) Janie. Erg. She's so closed off, even after the first book. Sometimes I just wanted to be like, come on, open up! 3.) The ending, climax, whatever you want to call it, was disturbing. Very dark, very unsettling, and very explicit. I guess it was a little eye opening in a way, but some of it I just didn't want my young eyes to read.

Over all, the book had potential but I just felt like I was getting sucked deeper and deeper in a dark black hole, one I couldn't escape out of. So even though I really enjoyed the first book, I'm hesitant to read the third, Gone. But, if you did like this book check out some others:

Need: Carrie Jones
Evermore: The Immortals: Alyson Noel
Swoon: Nina Malkin
Wicked: Witch & Curse: Nancy Holder
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1): Kelley Armstrong
Blue is for Nightmares: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale: Holly Black

Check out Lisa McMann here

-M.

3 comments:

ladystorm said...

Interesting to hear your take on this book..I just finished Wake a couple of weeks ago and it took me a little bit to get into it because the writing style is different..so I have curious about the sequel..might hold of on it for a while..spend my money on something worthwhile..LOL

mary said...

Sorry to hear you didn't really like the book. I've been wanting to read the Wake series for a long time. I heard a lot of great stuff about it. great review.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I didn't really enjoy either one, but this one felt like a bad tv cop show. I'll still read the third because I want to read the whole series, but they are not my favorite books.