Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Magic Under Glass

Magic Under Glass
by Jaclyn Dolamore

# of pages: 240
age range: 13+
Rating: 4/5
Publisher: Bloomsbury


Nimira is a foreign music-hall girl forced to dance for mere pennies. When wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to sing with a piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it is the start of a new and better life. In Parry's world, however, buried secrets are beginning to stir. Unsettling below-stairs rumors swirl about ghosts, a madwoman roaming the halls, and Parry's involvement with a league of sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. Then Nimira discovers the spirit of a fairy gentleman named Erris is trapped inside the clockwork automaton, waiting for someone to break his curse. The two fall into a love that seems hopeless, and breaking the curse becomes a race against time, as not just their love, but the fate of the entire magical world may be in peril.

I'd been looking forward to this book for awhile once I saw it on a couple of "waiting on Wednesday" meme's. The synopsis sounded amazing and the cover is beautiful! So, when I was offered to review this title I was positively giddy with excitement!

The book starts of with Nimira as a "trouser girl", which is a low class dancer girl that men often come and watch. Born from a high class family in a distant land, Nimira holds herself as above this job, but her personality is selfless and sweet. She's an easily likable character. At first though I was a little confused with the time/era and whether the mythical creatures (faeries, mermaids, etc.) where myths or actually part of the society. That was cleared up though a few chapters into the book.

Erris, the automaton was...weird for me at first to be completely honest. If i were in that situation I would have been a little creeped out, but, he grew on me. The automaton, in case you were wondering, is a life like doll that when wound up with a key, plays the piano. It took me a little while to fully understand.

Over all the novel was enticing and romantic. The characters had depth, not enough to blow me away, but enough that I didn't think they lacked individualism. As for the plot, it was very unique, and I am looking forward the sequel (I'm assuming that there is a sequel based on the ending). Either way this was a fun, magical, romantic fantasy that I believe will appeal to many ages and readers.

If you liked this novel be sure to check out:

The Pale Assassin: Patricia Elliot
Fire: Kriten Cashore
Rampant: Diana Perterfreund
Princess of the Midnight Ball: Jessica Day George

Check out Jaclyn Dolamore here

-M.

2 comments:

Nickles said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this. I've been reading good reviews about it. I'm glad you liked it.

ParaJunkee said...

This sounds good, I'll have to check it out.