Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove
by Lauren Kate


# of pages: 248
Age range: 14+
Rating: 3/5

A steamy Southern beauty makes one fatal mistake
Natalie Hargrove would kill to be her high school’s Palmetto Princess. But her boyfriend Mike King doesn’t share her dream and risks losing the honor of Palmetto Prince to Natalie’s nemesis, Justin Balmer. So she convinces Mike to help play a prank on Justin. . . one that goes terribly wrong. They tie him to the front of the church after a party—when they arrive the next morning, Justin is dead.
From blackmail to buried desire, dark secrets to darker deeds, Natalie unravels. She never should’ve messed with fate. Fate is the one thing more twisted than Natalie Hargrove.

First let me say that I love Lauren Kate. After reading Fallen, who couldn't love her? So I was ready to try her other novel even though I was aware that it had quite a challenge to level up to my high standards that came after reading Fallen.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Lauren did an excellent job successfully portraying good characterization, voice, mood, and writing that was effective for the novel...but... I just couldn't stand Natalie. Every move she made had me reeling. I couldn't believe the things she did and her motives to be on top, this took "petty" to a whole new level.

I guess you could say I'm not a huge fan of the "popular-mean girl" type, and Natalie was the paradigm of that. When you combine Natalie with the plot, the book just didn't work for me. It seemed so unrealistic.

However, the reason I gave it 3/5 was because as I mentioned earlier, Lauren's methods were used correctly to effectively develop the story, and she gets bonus points for a shocking ending and suspenseful novel. This could definitely be a great book for someone else, just not me.

But don't let this hold you back, please go ahead and check it out! If you liked this book you may be interested in:

Deadly Little Secret: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Devoured: Amanda Marrone
Blue Bloods: Melissa De La Cruz
Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood: Eileen Cook
Pretty Little Liars: Sara Shepard

Visit Lauren Kate here


-M

4 comments:

mary said...

Great Review! I felt the same way. Natalie really annoyed me,but the ending was great.

Book Monster said...

Nice review, I've seen this one around a lot!!

✖Mizz Yasmin✖ said...

Wow.
Actually, I don't like Lauren's way of writing.
However, I agree when you said "After reading Fallen, who couldn't love her?"
cause her ideas are just so great!

Anyway, nice review!
After reading this, I felt like buying this book myself.
Who know if it'll meet MY expectation.
:)

prashant said...

really annoyed me,but the ending was great.

Work from home India