Saturday, February 6, 2010

Darklight

Darklight
by Lesley Livingston

# of pages: 320
Age range: 13+
Rating: 3.5/5





Faerie can't lie . . . or can they?

Much has changed since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt. Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself.

When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld, her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to risk everything to claim that power. Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting allegiances, Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart.

I was really excited to read this because I loved the first book in the series, Wondrous Strange. For whatever reason though, I just didn't get into the sequel as much as I would have hoped. Sure there was the same great writing and deep characters but I kind of got lost in the plot, I felt as though there was never a true climax.

The book started with Kelley and Sonny in separate places but they were soon reunited, just not the way I would have hoped. We do get to see a new side of sonny, one even he doesn't know about. That, I will admit was a new exciting part of the story that I quite enjoyed.

Don't get me wrong I really did enjoy this book, but I just wasn't as wrapped up in it as I was in the previous novel. The characters were still fresh, the writing still fabulous, and the plot still thick. But I'm hoping the next book will have more of...hmm...that spark so to speak that the first one had.

If you liked this series be sure to check out:

Captivate by Carrie Jones
The Dark Divineby Bree Despain
Fallen by Lauren Kate
Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater
Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog
Intertwined by Gena Showalter
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Check out Lesley Livingston here

-M.

1 comment:

ladystorm said...

I liked this book too. I kept up with what was going on okay, but I am just so curious to know which fairy king or queen is the true bad fairy..lol

Sorry you didn' like it as well as the first one.