Friday, March 5, 2010

Before I Fall

Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver

From ATW Tours

# of Pages: 480
Age Range: 14+
Rating: 4.5/5

What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.
Instead, it turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

I signed up for this tour months ago, and pretty much forgot about it until I saw this package arrive in my mailbox one day. What could it be? I thought as I slowly opened it. Finally, I pulled out this beautiful shiny cover with this gorgeous face staring right at me and I couldn't help but squeal. Before I Fall, for me? Yay!

I will admit, after reading the first chapter I was a bit disappointed. The main character, Sam, well she and her friends were horrendous. They took "mean girl" to the next level. I couldn't help but think, did I really have to put up with them for the whole novel?

Answer: Not at all! By the end of the second chapter I was hooked. Sam is one of the most thoroughly developed characters I have ever read in a long time. There was so much going on in the book, I loved it! The characters were both cliched, and unique in a way that is effective for the plot, and the romance - so sweet! With an intriguing plot, excellent characters, fabulous writing, and a wonderful cover, Before I Fall is sure to be a sparkling debut.


*The only thing that bothered me really was the fact that Sam is portrayed to have darker features, like Brown eyes and dark hair. But the girl on the cover has vivid green eyes and blond hair. (what!?) As stunning as it may be, it's always been a pet peeve of mine when the cover character does not match the one in the book. It gets my mental image of the character mixed up.

So, if you loved Before I Fall like I did, be sure to check out these other awesome books:

Hex Hall: Rachel Hawkins
Some Girls Are: Courtney Summers
Chasing Brooklyn: Lisa Shroeder
The Mark: Jen Nadol
The Body Finder: Kimberly Derting
Twenty Boy Summer: Rachel Ockler
Something Like Fate: Suzanne Colasanti
Sing me to Sleep: Angela Morrison

Check out Lauren Oliver here

-M.


2 comments:

brizmus said...

I know what you mean. . .it really bothers me, too, when the characters on the cover are nothing like they are in the book.

Lauren said...

Ooh, this is awesome isn't it? Definitely one of my all time favourites.