Monday, April 19, 2010

Glass Houses

Glass Houses
by Rachel Caine

Age Range: 13+
# of Pages: 256
Rating: 3.5/5

From the author of the popular Weather Warden series. Welcome to Morganville, Texas.
Just don't stay out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life. But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.

I told myself no more vampire books. I was done. But...I had heard a lot about this series....and...I caved! Seeing as I did not own this book, and the Library did not carry it, and I didn't feel like going out to buy it, I bought it on the Kindle! I haven't decided yet whether or not I like the Kindle or not but I used this book as my Kindle-reading test drive.

Anyways, on to the book! So the book starts of with main character Claire being bullied by the "mean girls" of the college she goes to. Though I felt bad for her, I was kind of annoyed by Claire, uh, lack of confidence so to speak. I'm more of a fan of the strong female lead types. The plot progressed to Claire moving in to the "glass house" where she meets all of her future friends and learns the truth about the town.

The characters had some surprising depth, to me at least. Claire actually developed quite a bit and I found myself liking her a lot more towards the end of the novel. Plot wise, the novel was fast paced and filled with action and bits of romance which is always a plus in my book. I thought the writing was good, nothing exceptional but it worked for the book.

Overall it was a fun vampire read that was quick enough to satisfy but not in any way "twilight-ish". If you like this book/series be sure to check out:

Vampire Academy series: Richelle Mead
The Darkest Powers series: Kelley Armstrong
Mortal Instruments sereis: Cassandra Clare
The Immortals series: Alyson Noel
Fallen: Lauren Kate
The Blood Coven series: Mari Mancusi

Buy Glass Houses here

Visit Rachel Caine here

-M.

3 comments:

AtenRa said...

I love love love this series!You MUST read the next ones, it gets so much better!

Tribute Books said...

like paranormal, must read the series, thanks

PokCalaway0710 said...

wonderful...................................................