Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Iron King


The Iron King
by Julie Kawaga

Ages: 13+
# of pages: 368
Rating: 4.5/5



Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Eep! Eep! Eep! I wanted to read this book for so, so, long. I love the books where the average girl learns she is something amazing, I guess it's my outlet of wishing I had some hidden secret. Alas, I don't, so I must live through the books I read.

The Iron King starts off with Meghan Chase waking up to the day before her birthday. Readers get a clear view of the type of lifestyle she lives and how she feels toward her family and her life. Here we see the typical unpopular girl aching to be special, soon we'll learn that you should be careful what you wish for.

The book took off pretty quickly and I found myself wrapped up in the plot, and with Ash the Faerie prince. Cutie! I loved the modern spin on Faerie and Meghan's dedication to her brother and tasks. I don't know about anyone else but I felt as though the plot/imagery of the book was like a mixture of Alice and Wonderland + Faerie. Maybe it was the cat that threw me off. Cheshire cat anyone?

Overall, i enjoyed the plot and the writing. I thought the characters were fun and unique and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel, The Iron Daughter coming out...sometime. :)


If you liked this novel be sure to check out:

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher
Darklight by Lesley Livingston/ Wondrous Strange
Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken
City of Bones: Cassandra Clare
Tithe: Holly Black
Bleeding Violet: Dia Reeves.

But The Iron King HERE: only $5.43 new from other seller!

Read 1st chapter HERE

Visit Julie Kagawa HERE

* Also, maybe this is just a me thing, but I really like the cover. A lot of people were saying they didn't like it at all, but I don't know, I think it's pretty.