Saturday, April 17, 2010

Radiant Shadows author Interview + Review

Meet Melissa Marr:

Bestselling author, Mother, and Faerie believer.

This Tour was a part of Traveling to Teens.

1.) Who of your characters do you most relate to?

I don’t relate to any of them beyond the author-writing-them way. None of them are like me, but each of them has one thing of mine in order to allow me to connect. I didn’t do that intentionally, but it’s worked out that way. For example, Ash has my photo love; Seth has my train love; Sorcha has my maternal side; Leslie has my rape-survivor traits; and Keenan has my mood swings.

2.) Which of your characters was the hardest to write?

Aislinn. Sometimes her choices are so counter to what I would do that it’s hard to resist inserting my opinion in her persona. I don’t because that’s not who she is, but I find her very frustrating to write sometimes (especially in Fragile Eternity). Irial and Donia, on the other hand, are typically the easiest. They make perfect sense to me.

3.) What was your inspiration for Radiant Shadows?

I don’t know that any book has a solitary inspiration. I think one of the triggers for RS was my fascination with the Hunt; another source was probably my interest in not-the-mainstream folks. Ani and Devlin are very much id-driven characters. Their moral compasses are self-chosen and self-enforced. I’ve always found people who walk outside the lines captivating; at the base of it all, I suspect that Ani, Dev, and Rae are all born of that interest.

4.) If you could be one person for a year who would it be?

Me. The life I have is precisely the perfect fit for me. I have two children who are by far the coolest people I know, a spouse who still makes me forget my name, healthy living parents, and a job I enjoy. I wouldn’t want to miss a year of this life for anything else.

5.) How do you overcome writers block?

I don’t believe in writer’s block, actually, so there’s nothing to overcome in my opinion. Someday, I could b proven wrong, but thus far, my belief and experience are matching up. There are days for contemplation, and there are days for writing down words. If they words aren’t flowing, I switch gears. That’s not a block: it’s merely another step in the process.

6.) Have you ever based a character off of someone you knew/know?

Grams has some traits I drew from my own grandmother, but aside from her, no, not intentionally.


7.) Do you plan on writing novels in a different genre in the future?

I have an adult novel coming out next year (which is either a paranormal mystery with a romantic subplot, a romance with a dark fantasy/horror subplot, or possibly a sorta ghost story—depending on who’s describing it). I have a manga series and short stories (urban fantasy mostly) out regularly, so to do a totally different genre (ie not adult, YA, manga, or short story) would mean script, comic, picture book, or middle grade. I’m pretty sure I can’t do middle grade, but comic and picture book both appeal to me. I’m not sure about a script. It tempts me because it’s new, but I’m not sure there. If you mean genre as in fantasy/realism/horror/romance, I think the obvious one I’m missing is realism, and yes, I’d like to try that sooner or later. For me, though, it’s really a matter of the story. If a story requires a different format or genre and I need to write that one, that’s when I will shift to it.

8.) What is the most rewarding part of being an author?

Most? I’m so bad at the superlative/solitary answer questions. Typically, I’ll say that the actual writing part is the most rewarding, but then I go to a particularly fun book event and it’s the readers . . . or then I have the ability to introduce my son to an author he adores and I’m pretty sure that’s the most rewarding. Honestly, it’s like any job: there are lots of cool parts of doing it.

9.) How did you feel when you learned your book had become a New York Times Bestseller?

I was actually in PA with my parents, and within an hour or two of the news, they’d had a burst
pipe—so mostly I felt wet & achy from swabbing water. I never really cared about the bestseller lists. Objectively, they’re nice, but the goal was never about lists or money or sales or film. I had stories I wanted to tell. My goal was to tell them in a way that made readers (and ideally, me too) slip out of this world and into the pages. When I hear from readers or meet them live, that’s FAR more exciting than some arbitrary list somewhere.

10.) If you could be a faerie, what court would you belong to?

I’d probably be solitary (I’m not big on following other folks’ rules). If I were in my pre-motherhood days, I’d go Dark Court. As a mother, I’d probably go for Summer (because of the music) or winter (because my kids enjoy the snow—although, admittedly, I hate it).



Radiant Shadows
by Melissa Mar

Age Range: 14+
# of Pages: 352
Rating: 5/5


Hunger for nourishment.
Hunger for touch.
Hunger to belong.

Half-human and half-faery, Ani is driven by her hungers.

Those same appetites also attract powerful enemies and uncertain allies, including Devlin. He was created as an assassin and is brother to the faeries' coolly logical High Queen and to her chaotic twin, the embodiment of War. Devlin wants to keep Ani safe from his sisters, knowing that if he fails, he will be the instrument of Ani's death.

Ani isn't one to be guarded while others fight battles for her, though. She has the courage to protect herself and the ability to alter Devlin's plans—and his life. The two are drawn together, each with reason to fear the other and to fear for one another. But as they grow closer, a larger threat imperils the whole of Faerie. Will saving the faery realm mean losing each other?
Let me just say that I love the Wiked Lovely Series, I think they are a dark set of books that is a perfect combination of unique characters and urban fantasy. So I was ecstatic to say the least to have the oppertunity to review this novel.

Radiant Shadows is kind of a tie-off novel of the main series which revolves around main character Aislinn, but the characters in this novel are a part of the Wicked Lovely world. None the less, Radiant Shadows has now become my favorite Wicked Lovely novel.

Readers will be entranced by Ani and Devlin's forbidden romance and the court intregue and deciet that runs through Faerie. I loved Ani and her bravery, and also her fearless aproach to the world. I also was excited to get to know Devlin better and see the layers beneath his stone shell that makes him the person he is.

Besides awesome characters, Radiant Shadows had a deep and fast-paced plot that kept me flipping pages even in the waking hours of morning. Not only that but like every one of her books, Melissa's writing is so beautiful and captivating that I often find myself re-reading a sentence or two just because it was so well written.

With a surprising ending, the next novel in Marr's series is sure to be a fantastic installment. If you likes this novel be sure to check out:

Wings: Aprilynne Pike
Wondrous Strange: Lesley Livingston
Tithe: Holly Black
Incarceron: Catherine Fisher
Bleeding Violet: Dia Reeves

Buy Radiant Shadows HERE

Visit Melissa Marr HERE

-M.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I just downloaded the free e-book of Wicked Lovely! Now I'm even more excited to get started on it! =]