Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Shiver

Shiver
by Maggie Stiefvater

Age Range: 14+
# of Pages: 400
Rating: 4/5

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

I got this book back in December actually, and read it over vacation but completely forgot to review it. So my review may not be as clear as it would have been had I reviewed it back when I was supposed to! Shiver; I'm sure you've heard of this book. Bestseller, in the makes movie, one of the top YA books of 2009. So I was pretty excited to read this novel to say the least.

The book Shiver is ultimately a love story. Centering Sam and Grace, in alternating views each chapter has the temperature written at the top, and it lowers throughout the whole book. That, and the fact that the ink was BLUE, were probably the coolest parts of the book for me. I also loved the originality of the werewolf part of the story.

The characters in this novel were deep and powerful, I would've liked to get to know some members of Sam's pack better though. The writing was beautiful like all of Stievfater;s novels, as well. So why the 4 stars? I guess I was expecting a more climatic plot, or have the book be more dramatic. There were some intense scenes but I finished the book wondering where the climax was exactly. Don't get me wrong though, as far as love stories go, this one was great.

If you liked Shiver you will probably like most of the new YA novels out there but if you want to stick to the werewolf theme, check out:

The Dark Divine: Bree Despain
Need: Carrie Jones
Never Cry Werewolf: Heather Davis
The Summoning: Kelley Armstrong
Tantalize: Cynthia Leitich Smith

Buy Shiver here

Visit Maggie Here

-M.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hey! I emailed you! Please email me back!