Monday, May 31, 2010

T2T Author Interview: Heidi R. Kling

Hey everybody!

Let me introduce you to the fabulous Heidi R. Kling, he who wrote the equally fabulous book, Sea. Sea is a novel about a girl names Sienna who gets a chance to go to Indonesia to do relief work after Tsunami, and not only finds herself but also finds love in an Indonesian native, Deni.

Heidi has been kind enough to do an interview with Bookmac, thank you Heidi!

1.) When did you decide you would like to be a writer?

I've been writing since I was a little girl, so since forever!

It's great to know what you want to do!

2.) What drew you to YA literature?

My natural voice is about 15-19 years old. I don't know why. Young at
heart?

Aren't we all? :)

3.) Do you plan on writing other YA novels or have any coming out?

I do! I'm contributing to the Mystic Falls Vampire Diaries anthology which
is out in October, 2010 and I'm finishing up a fantasy novel about
estranged witches and warlocks which is to be a trilogy.


Squee! Can't wait to read it!

4.) Where did you get your idea to write Sea?

My husband is a cross-cultural trauma psychiatrist and I was inspired by
his volunteer work in Indonesia after the tsunami.

Inspiring :)

5.) Which character was the most fun to write?

I like Big Doctor Tom a whole lot. He's the type of guy I love to be
around in serious situations, because he lightens the mood. Vera was also fun because she's so awful, yet probably not as awful as Sienna thinks she is. I also loved writing Sienna, Deni and Spider. I love them all. ;-)

Doctor Tom is Sienna's Dad's best friend, and Vera is a co-worker of Sienna's father as well. Spider is an old friend of Sienna's, and Deni is...oh you'll see.

6.) Which character was that hardest to write?

Probably Deni. Because I wanted to be true to him and his voice.

Your work paid off!

7.) If you could go anywhere in the world for a week, where would you go?

I would go to Indonesia and walk where Sienna walked. I only went there in
my imagination because my son was too little to travel and I didn't feel
comfortable with both my husband and I being outside the country at the
same time.

That's awesome!

8.) If you had one day to spend $1,000 what would you spend it on?

Clothes probably.

Ahhh, clothes...I love clothes!

9.) How was your first signing?

At Author Carnival? It was great! Many bloggers brought their ARCs from
home, which was so sweet--and Penguin donated 10 finished copies to give
away as prizes. I also signed bookmarks and gave turtle stamps and stickers
out. I had a pretty busy booth for someone with only ten books floating
around. I also signed bookmarks at BEA. I love meeting readers and
bloggers, so it was a blast. I can't wait for more!

Wish I could have been there! Next time perhaps!

10.) The best part about being an author is....?

Connecting with the reader. Knowing something I wrote touched someones
life. To me it's all about the readers and the great YA community which I adore.

What a great response!

11.) Pick three words to describe your book.

Hope, Love, Loss

Perfect!