Friday, May 21, 2010

This Gorgeous Game

This Gorgeous Game
by Donna Freitas

# of pages: 224
Age range: 13+
Rating: 4/5
Release date: 5/25/10

Olivia Peters is over the moon when her literary idol, the celebrated novelist and much adored local priest Mark D. Brendan, offers to become her personal writing mentor. But when Father Mark’s enthusiasm for Olivia’s prose develops into something more, Olivia’s emotions quickly shift from wonder to confusion to despair. Exactly what game is Father Mark playing, and how on earth can she get out of it?

I was fortunate enough to have received this book for review, which I promptly read the moment I received it. I mean how could you not, look at the cover? Intriguing! Though I had never read anything by Donna Freitas (author of The Possibilities of Sainthood) I nonetheless was interested in her work. The only thing that I was afraid of was that the book was going to be "too religious", my own religious beliefs - albeit the fact that I'm Christian, are still...processing. I was pleasantly surprised though to find that the novel used the Christian aspect more of a way to develop plot and character than anything else!

The novel starts off with Olivia winning a grand writing prize and bestselling author/well known Priest, Father Mark, takes Olivia under his wing. In a matter of weeks Father Mark becomes Olivia's life - too involved, and yet she fails to notice anything unusual about his behavior...until it's too late. Amidst Olivia's confusion and pain she manages to find love and eventually find herself.

There was a lot of symbolism and underlying themes in this novel, mainly about corruption
in the Catholic Church. Stalking though, was a new angle to this and I found it fascinating to see how to book would unfold. Some people may become annoyed at Olivia's naiveness at first, and her failure to tell anyone about Father Mark, but I understood her point of view because a close friend of mine had actually gone through a something very similar and I knew that the emotions the character felt were real and do happen in real life.

Overall, the novel resonated well with me. I loved the writing and the innovative plot, as well as the symbolism and controversial topic. I wished however the ending could have been stronger.

If you like this book be sure to check out:

Lost for Words by Alice Kuipers
Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams
A Blue so Dark by Holly Shindler
God is in the Pancakes by Robin Epstein
Stranded by J.T. Dutton


Buy the book here (A quick read, by the way)

Visit Donna HERE

-M.

No comments: