Tuesday, June 29, 2010

ARC's + Stores = ???

As many of you know, arc's are like rare gems that we are sometimes lucky enough to own, or obtain. What makes them so special is the fact that they are not something you can simply buy at your local Barnes and Noble or at Amazon.com.

So what do you think of bookstores selling arc's? And how many bookstores actually get copies but do not sell them or share them?

Most of us know about the Strand, a famous New York City bookstore that is infamous for selling arc's in it's basement. And I am not innocent in this either, I've purchased an arc there before, I love them, so to me The Strand is my book heaven, but does that make it right?

I was doing some research about this online when I stumbled across this post where the blogger actually thought it was a good thing to sell arc's because it brought buzz to the book. I never looked at it that way, and maybe  that blogger has a point.

So what if Publishers sold arc's? Not on their websites of course but with fake ebay accounts or something, all so that more buzz could be generated about the book but they would not be getting ripped off from other people selling them. Crazy? Perhaps. It depends on how you look at it, I'm indifferent.

But I am wondering about bookstores. Which ones get arc's, especially the no-name stores, and how?
And if they get them, then what do they do with them if not sell them? I find that I am itching to know. The only book store I know that publicly sells arc's is The Strand, but a place called The Book Mobile is my area "has" Arc's available, but they are not for sale and cannot be looked at. So what happens to them...? It seems like a waste that they just sit in a closet somewhere.

Thoughts? To sell or not to sell?

-M.

2 comments:

iluvhersheys_andbooks said...

I guess its up to the publishers. As long as they have the author's consent then it would be fine. But personally, I think the whole idea defeats the purpose of having a release date in the first place. If the people getting these ARCs arent going to write reviews on them, then it is pretty much a finished copy of the book for them. To a blogger it is a sacred process in which we repay authors whose books we enjoy with reviews and constructive critism, but to those who just buy books cause they love to read and are looking for a good book (which is just as awesome and supportive of the author) it is just a book, released a little earlier in softcover. Idk I just thought that ARC's are made to get reviews out there. Anywayz I dont know if this makes sense but yeah. But if I they do decide to sell ARC's locally, ill be the first to buy them!!! Great post, it really made me think a lot on the subject lol!!!

Lindsay :) said...

I think it would defeat the purpose of the release date also. I think ARCs should be used to create hype for the book and shouldn't be as available. Interesting subject though.