Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Brightly Woven

Brightly Woven
Brightly Woven
 by Alexandra Bracken

# of Pages: 368
Age Range: 13+
Rating:3.8/5

When Wayland North brings rain to a region that's been dry for over ten years, he's promised anything he'd like as a reward. He chooses the village elder's daughter, sixteen-year-old Sydelle Mirabel, who is a skilled weaver and has an unusual knack for repairing his magical cloaks. Though Sydelle has dreamt of escaping her home, she's hurt that her parents relinquish her so freely and finds herself awed and afraid of the slightly ragtag wizard who is unlike any of the men of magic in the tales she's heard. Still, she is drawn to this mysterious man who is fiercely protective of her and so reluctant to share his own past.



The pair rushes toward the capital, intent to stop an imminent war, pursued by Reuel Dorwan (a dark wizard who has taken a keen interest in Sydelle) and plagued by unusually wild weather. But the sudden earthquakes and freak snowstorms may not be a coincidence. As Sydelle discovers North's dark secret and the reason for his interest in her and learns to master her own mysterious power, it becomes increasingly clear that the fate of the kingdom rests in her fingertips. She will either be a savior, weaving together the frayed bonds between Saldorra and Auster, or the disastrous force that destroys both kingdoms forever.

Cons:

First let me say that I was extremely excited for this book when it came out. I loved the cover, and the synopsis, and it seemed like an all over awesome novel. Don't get me wrong it did live up to its high standards in many aspects, and I did enjoy the book. But I often found myself confused with the many names of the gods and lands, and I always seemed to mix them up. Also, there were many times when I had to re-read sentences because they were phrased oddly or didn't exactly fit right with the current context. Another thing that bothered me was the slightly lacking character descriptions. I couldn not for the life of me put a face to Sydelle. Was her hair dark red? Did it have gold in it? Was it bright red? What was the shape of her face? Her height? etc.

Pros:

On the other hand, I loved the writing. I thought it was very well done for a debut novelist, and it fit the story well. The plot was original and there were always twits and excitement throughout the book. I also enjoyed Sydelle and North together, I loved how much he cared for her - that's my favorite type of romance in book's. The strong female, who finds herself saved by the handsome love interest. Swoon!

Overall:

Together, this novel was still extremely impressive and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope there is a sequel because there are a few loose ends that need tying up, but in the meantime I highly suggest picking up a copy. Even if it's just so youn look at the cover. :)

If you liked this novel:

Everlasting
The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
The Swan Maiden
A Matter of Magic
Fire (Graceling)

Visit Alexandra Bracken HERE

1 comment:

celi.a said...

Oh, I definitely liked this one too, but I (like you) did notice some flaws. Very strong for a debut, though! Also, that's a good, fair review.