Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Good Neighbors: Graphic Novel

Kin (The Good Neighbors)
Kin (The Good Neighbors)
by Holly Black

# of pages: 144
Age range: 13+
Rating:2/5

Rue Silver's mother has disappeared . . . and her father has been arrested, suspected of killing her. But it's not as straightforward as that. Because Rue is a faerie, like her mother was. And her father didn't kill her mother -- instead, he broke a promise to Rue's faerie king grandfather, which caused Rue's mother to be flung back to the faerie world. Now Rue must go to save her -- and must also defeat a dark faerie that threatens our very mortal world.

I went to the library this week, the first time in well over a month, and even though the selection wasn't as great as I had hoped I did manage to find this short graphic novel from Holly Black. I liked her book Tithe, so I thought I go and give The Good Neighbors a try, I mean it was slimmer than my pinkie, and I finished it in under half and hour.

I've never reviewed a graphic novel before - don't kill me for saying this - but, I don't know if I really consider them books persay... I guess I'm probably just ignorant to them. Anyway, had this been a real book I probably would have liked the story better, the plot was actually quite good. Unfortunately, the story was too short for me to get to know the characters and I was often confused to who was who and what the heck was going on.

There was hardly any background information on the minor characters so I had no clue as to who they were/there personality, etc. As far as writing goes, well, it was 96% dialogue so  I can't exactly say whether is was good or bad. The pictures were pretty though.

I guess I'm just not really a graphic novel person. I mean, if it were a graphic novel to a story I had actually read I probably would pick it up. But as for a stand alone graphic novel - I don't think so.

If you liked this, be sure to check out:

Other graphic novels? Sorry, that's such a lame response, but as I said, I'm quite ignorant when it comes to this genre.

-M.

3 comments:

brizmus said...

I didn't know Holly Black did graphic novels. Sometimes they can be tough - I feel like with a lot of them, you have to already be into the genre to enjoy, which is weird. I love graphic novels, though, so I'll be sure to check this out, even if you didn't love it.

Elise said...

I've never read a graphic novel either, I think I have the same view of them as you do. However I appreciate this review and it certainly sounds like a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

tgibson said...

your wife is very charming!............................................................