Monday, June 7, 2010

The Summer of Skinny Dipping

The Summer of Skinny DippingThe Summer of Skinny Dipping
by Amanda Howells

# of Pages: 304
Age range: 14+
Rating: 3.7/5

Sometimes I still wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the very beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.Definitely pick up a copy. If you liked this book be sure to check out:

My name is Mia Gordon: I was sixteen years old, and I remember everything

Despite the name that raised my Mother's eyebrows, I was really interested in reading this book after I was given the oppertunity to review it. At fist I was a little nervous about this book beause I had a feeling it would have kind of a "Sarah Dessen" feel/style to it. Don't get me wrong, I think Sarah Dessen's novels are fabulously written but sometimes they can be a bit slow for me. Nevertheless, with The Summer of Skinny Dipping I found myself pleasently surprised.

Mia comes to the Hamptons with her family believing the summer to be her escape from a bad breakup and a chance to spend time with her favoite cousin, Corrine. Things change however when Mia finds herself out of place among Corrine and her high society friends, and she begins to feel more alone than ever. Then she meets Simmon. Suddenly, things don't seem as bad. Before she knows it, Mia is falling in love.

Though the beginning was a little slow for me, I soon found the book picking up as more secrets and twists were introduced to the story's plot. By the end of the novel I was really enjoying the book and happy to see how the characters had matured and developed. If the novel had ended right there, I would have been happy. But it didn't. And not only was I shocked - the kind that leaves your mouth hanging open - I felt the emotions the character was gong through as if they were my own. It was amazing.

The Summer of Skinny Dipping is a novel that is perfect for the beach if you want that  "fun summer romance" book, but the depth and realism make it so much more.

 
The Six Rules of Maybe
The Unwritten Rule
The Secret Life of Prince Charming
Paper Towns

An Abundance of Katherines
Twenty Boy Summer
The Summer I Turned Pretty

-M.

1 comment:

brizmus said...

aw, I feel so sad for Mia! I want to read this book just to make sure that things turn out okay for her.