Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Theif Eyes

Thief Eyes
Thief Eyes
by Janni Lee Simner

# of Pages: 259
Age range: 12/13+
Rating: 3.8/5

After her mother mysteriously disappears, sixteen-year-old Haley convinces her father to take her to Iceland, where her mother was last seen. There, amidst the ancient fissures and crevices of that volcanic island, Haley meets gorgeous Ari, a boy with a dangerous side who appoints himself her protector.



When Haley picks up a silver coin that entangles her in a spell cast by her ancestor Hallgerd, she discovers that Hallgerd's spell and her mother's disappearance are connected to a chain of events that could unleash terrifying powers and consume the world. Haley must find a way to contain the growing fires of the spell—and her growing attraction to Ari.

I enjoyed Simner's book Bones of Faerie so when I heard she had a new YA book out I was excited to read it. When I saw a copy in the library I picked it up and read it in one day.

Haley, our main character, convinces her father to take her to Iceland over the summer to search for her missing mother - or at least get some answers to her disappearance. She learns more than she bargained for however when Haley becomes part of an ancient cure that has run through her family for years. Luckily, she has Ari there to help her.

The beginning of the story was a little confusing, especially with the curse part. As the story unfolded though, It became much clearer. Although the story was set in modern times, this is a pure fantasy novel, with talking animals and everything. I enjoy those types of books, but be forewarned this is no 21st century "rescue mission" novel. I will give it to Simner though, that even when the plot was really out there, she wove a good story and I wanted to see what would happen to the characters next.

As for Haley and Ari, I wanted them together from the beginning. You know that feeling when you just want something to work, that's how I felt with those two. Unfortunately, there was the small matter of Haley's boyfriend back in the states that got in the way.

Overall I enjoyed the novel. The writing was good, the plot original -even if it was slightly confusing. I also enjoyed the characters, and Haley's strong will and devotion. The ending was not my favorite. I liked how it was happy but realistically so - there was still some loss - but, I didn't get any sense of closure between Ari and Haley. Major bummer.

If you liked this novel be sure to check out:


Princess of the Midnight Ball
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow 
The Princess and the Hound
Bones of Faerie
Princess Ben

Visit Janni HERE

-M

No comments: