Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1)
Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare

# of Pages: 496
Age Range: 14+
Rating: 4.5/5

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.



When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.


Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

I am a huge fan of Cassandra Clare. Almost too a point where if she were to write a book on man eating turanchula's (my worst fear!) I might pick up a copy just because she wrote it. So of course I was dying to read her newest book,  Clockwork Angel. When I heard that there were copies at BEA I nearly cried, of course I knew the chances of snagging a copy were slim to none. Yet somehow, I managed to be in the right place at the right time and scored myself one of the ten remaining arc's while strolling through the Simon and Shuster booth. And the rest is history, I fell in love!

Cassandra wastes no time starting the story with heroine Tessa getting kidnapped by the Dark Sisters. Trapped in their house with the threat of her brother's life hanging over her, Tessa submits to the Dark Sister's orders. Saved by the Shadow Hunters, Tessa agrees to help the mysterious demon fighters in hopes of recovering her brother, but the plan doesn't go as follows. The more Tessa and the shadow hunters learn, the more real her worst fears become. It doesn't help that Will, her gorgeous housemate, treats her hot and cold. And how can she open her heart to him when he holds the biggest secret of all?
.
From page one Cassandra wraps readers into her story with brilliant writting and a terrific plot. The effort of her research in the era is evident throughout the book and adds to the plot's strengh and character's deepthness. My only regrets is that the whole novel I kept trying to compare it to City of Bones which kept me from fully immersing myself into the story.

For Jace fans, I can gaurantee you will like Will. The two boys have many similarities, but alas Tessa is no Clary. Still, the clockwork duo is sure to win the hearts of every romance fan, and fufil the burning desire to read City of Fallen Angels for us die hard Mortal Instruments fans. So wait no more, stop reading this review and go buy your own copy of Clockwork Angel HERE.

Readers will be hooked by the mystery filled plot, and the shocking secrets that continue to be revealed throughout the book. With an ending that not only has a surprising twist but a major bombshell, Internal Device's fans all over the world will be begging to read the next installment in this fabulous new series
Visit Cassandra here at her site, it's a cool one!

If you liked Clockwork Angel (which you will), check out these other books:

Demon King, The (A Seven Realms Novel)
 Graceling
The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1)
A Matter of Magic

-M.

10 comments:

信陳定 said...

Quality is better than quantity...................................................................

阮艳 said...

婚姻對男人來說是賭他的自由,對女人而言卻是賭她的幸福。.................................................................

Sarah said...

Lucky you. I can't wait to read this!

Violet said...

I also have a fear of spiders and would totally line up with you to pre-order that hypothetical tarantula book! Haha! I will definitely read any book Cassandra writes. Clockwork Angel was my most-anticipated book of the year & I almost had a heart attack when I won an ARC. I agree with you that Jace fans will love Will & I am half in love with Jem too. Great storytelling, exciting mysteries, and characters that make me laugh one moment and break my heart the next, it doesn't get much better than Clockwork Angel! Thanks for sharing your review! :)

- Violet @ The Eager Readers

Becky said...

Great review! I'm so jealous! I just finished the mortal instruments series and I can't wait to start this one!

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

I have not read any of her books, though I've been interested in this one. I'm glad to finally see an actual review to explain what's going on. I can tell you're a fan, but I do love writers that do their research instead of just guessing. This one is already on my list, so now I know what I'm getting myself into. Good review, good explanation of what I thought was something very complicated.

Heather

Lydia said...

Cannot wait to read this - so lucky that you've read it!!

Erika Lynn said...

this book is next on my TBR list, can't wait!!

BookMac said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone, only 9 days left until Clockwork Angel comes out!!!

Kristen said...

Thank you for keeping this spoiler-free!!! :) I'm actually not getting a copy until this week.. right? this week.. so it's hard to see all these reviews popping up and me really wanting to read it! I'm glad it's not a total copycat of her other series - because that would be disappointing even if just character wise. I wasn't totally in sync with Clary in her other trilogy so maybe her new female character will appeal to me more. :)