Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mockingjay

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)
Mockingjay
by Suzanne Collins

# of Pages: 400
Age range: 13/14+
Rating: 4/5
From: Bought

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12.

Can anyone say MAJOR HYPE? Can you imagine the pressure Suzanne Collins must have been under to write this book, and write it well? I have to give her credit for pulling it through. Mockingjay is probably one of the most emotional and heart-wrenching books I have read all year, which would have been fine had it not been so utterly depressing.
In Mockingjay, heroine Katniss Everdeen accepts her title and agrees to be the face of the revolution in exchange for something extremely valuable to her. In doing so, Katniss is thrust into a new light entirely showing more of herself than she ever wanted anyone to see. The Katniss from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire is replaced with someone else - a strong but war torn girl who has the weight of her country on her shoulders. It surprised me to see such changes in Katniss, and especially in her friends and family. Collins however, had exceptional talent in capturing the emotions of what it feels like to be a part of a war,and though I have never been in such a situation, by reading Collin's work I can imagine exactly what it would feel like.

I can not say this was my favorite book in the trilogy -which is why Mockingjay did not receive a five star rating - mainly because it was so shocking, sad but, ultimately real. I pitied Katniss more than I ever did in any of the other books, the girl can't seem to catch a break! The beginning was a little slow for me as well, mainly do a lack of my favorite character, and the ending was a little rushed and just didn't live up to my expectations. Even though Katniss developed and changed so much in Mockingjay, even from where she was at the end of Catching Fire, it was hard for me to see her so used in this book, which was probably the biggest disappointment. Personally, I thought Mockingjay was 3/5, but when I add in the excellent writing and portrayals of emotion I have to give the book 4/5.

All negative comments aside, Mockingjay was still a powerful novel. With fiery words and moving symbolism, Collins managed to captivate me for hours as I turned page after page in this riveting finale. Despite the darkness there was still light in the ending of the novel and the last couple of pages made me smile in delight. Although I will miss The Hunger Games trilogy and the characters within the books, my hunger is satisfied and I can happily tuck the books away into my bookshelf - a reminder that one book is all it takes to start a revolution.

If you liked the Hunger Games be sure to check out:

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1)
Nightshade
The Maze Runner
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Matched

Visit Suzanne Collins here and buy Mockingjay here

-M.