Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Duff

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
by Kody Keplinger


# of Pages: 288
Age Range: 15+
Rating: 4/5
From: BEA

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.



But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.


Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

I have to say, right off the bat this book intrigued me. Duff. I'd never heard the word before but after learning it's meaning, it is definitely something that I could see myself, and many other teen girls (and boys) relating too. Besides that though, the plot sounded  really good so after hearing some positive buzz about the book, I decided to pull it from my bookshelf and read it.

From then on I could barely put it down.

Bianca, although a little too snarky at times in my opinion, was a funny and strong female lead. She loves her friends and carries herself well  despite the inner troubles she faces inside - and at home. Although her relationship with Wesley was a roller coaster ride to say the least, I couldn't help but route for the feuding duo. All throughout the novel, I definitely saw a Pride & Prejudice type relationship between Bianca and Wesley, which was humorous to watch unfold.

On a deeper level, I really loved how Kody's novel revealed a really important message to teens underneath witty, romantic, and fun filled pages. I think it's really important for teen girls (and guys) to understand that they're not alone when they feel like the "duff", because come on, haven't we all felt like that at some point? With great writing, a strong plot, and a happy ending, The Duff delivers something for everyone.

I highly recommend this book! Check out the following if you liked this novel:

If I Stay
The Ivy
Something Like Fate
Cracked Up to Be
Some Girls Are
Going Too Far

Check out Kody here

-M.

1 comment:

anjohnston said...

I've heard great things about this novel too. It looks really good and like you, once I heard what the title meant I was really intrigued. Thanks for posting a review!