Thursday, September 9, 2010

Songs for a Teenage Nomad

Songs for a Teenage Nomad
Songs for a Teenage Nomad

by Kim Culbertson

# of Pages: 242
Age Range: 13+
Rating: 4.5/5
From: Publisher

After living in twelve places in eight years, Calle Smith finds herself in Andreas Bay, California, at the start of ninth grade. Another new home, another new school...Calle knows better than to put down roots. Her song journal keeps her moving to her own soundtrack, bouncing through a world best kept at a distance.


Yet before she knows it, friends creep in-as does an unlikely boy with a secret. Calle is torn over what may be her first chance at love. With all that she's hiding and all that she wants, can she find something lasting beyond music? And will she ever discover why she and her mother have been running in the first place?

I don't usually read books like this; a little on the artsy side, a little too real for comfort. Not because I don't like them per say, more so that I just prefer other genre's. So when the opportunity came to review this book, I hesitated. Then I decided that it would be good for me to expand my horizons and I choose to review the book. And I am so, so glad I did.

Calle (Cal-ee) Smith is only fourteen and yet she is one of the most mature characters I have read all year. I can't describe this book without ruining it, even the synopsis on the back of the book really doesn't do the novel justice. Everything about this novel is just so original and deep, from the fact that every man Calle's mom is with drives a ford to the snippets of memories at the beginning of each chapter. The character development and flow of the plot just knocked me off my feet, and the more I got into this book the more I loved Calle.

The writing was really powerful when you stopped and thought about it too. There was a lot of symbolism and short sentences that packed a punch. Calle especially, impressed me. She remained true to herself throughout the whole novel and really developed as a character. I thought the ending gave the perfect amount of closure and was extremely fitting to the novel.

 Overall, this book not only surprised me but stuck with me and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a quick but deep read.

Check out the following if you are a fan of this book:

Paper Towns
Looking for Alaska
Story of a Girl

Before I Die

Check out Kim Culbertson HERE

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Kim is a 2010 debut author?

-M.

No comments: