Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Where the Truth Lies

Where the Truth Lies
Where the Truth Lies
by Jessica Warman

# of Pages: 320
Age Range: 13+
From: Publisher
Release Date: September 28th
Rating: 4/5

On the surface, Emily Meckler leads the perfect life. She has three best friends, two loving parents, and the ideal setup at the Connecticut prep school where her father is the headmaster. But Emily also suffers from devastating nightmares about fire and water, and nobody knows why. Then the enigmatic Del Sugar enters her life, and Emily is immediately swept away—but her passionate relationship with Del is just the first of many things that aren't quite what they seem in Emily's life. As the lies she's been told start to unravel, Emily must set out to discover the truth regarding her nightmare; on a journey that will lead her to question everything she thought she knew about love, family, and her own idyllic past.

I loved the synopsis of this novel and was so excited to get the chance to review it. Also it was another book about private school, (aka boarding school), so it was interesting for me to compare the lifestyle of Stonybrook Academy  to my own school.

Where the truth lies is a captivating young adult book and I found myself constantly drawn to the book the moment I put it down. The secrets and the romance kept me coming back from more, and I loved the relationships the characters had with each other, both good and bad. Although I didn't agree with some of the choices Emily made,  I found myself pleasantly surprised in the end.

The writing in this novel was really great, I thought the style was well suited for the story and I felt like I really got to know the characters. I loved how in depth the author went with the characters and their lives. The novel flowed well and the plot was full of betrayals, lies, and jaw droppers. I did not expect a lot of the turns this book possessed, so it made the ride all the more worthwhile when I encountered them.

Emotional, compelling, surprising and shocking, this book is a must read for fans of realistic fiction and fantasy alike. This book is one of those novels that makes you take a second look at contemporary fiction. I highly recommend checking this one out!

Check out the following books if you liked Where the Truth Lies:

Cracked Up to Be
Losing Faith
Freefall

Tell Me a Secret


Visit Jessica Warman here
Winter Longing

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Love your review for this! It sounds so so good :)

Bloomsbury Teens said...

Thanks for the review! We've a posted a link to your blog on the official Bloomsbury Teens Facebook page: Facebook.com/BloomsburyTeens.