Monday, October 4, 2010

Author Interview: Jennifer Solow

Hey Everyone!

Meet Jennifer Solow, author of the new MG series, The Aristobrats. I was lucky enough to not only review her book but also interview her!


1.) What was the hardest part about writing The Aristobrats?




The hardest thing about writing The Aristobrats is that the characters aren’t real. I really have fallen in love with them and sometimes I get in the mood to meet them at La Coppa Coffee for a Mocha Mach – but they’re not on my speed dial.

The other hard thing is that so many of the stories and characters are based in reality – it’s weird when the person and the character meet up. For instance, Ikea was inspired by a friend I went to school with. I was so excited to tell her about it because I think Ikea is a pretty big hero in the story. I don’t think my friend saw it that way – I felt bad, like maybe I’d offended her when what I really wanted to do was pay homage to a girl I admired long ago.

2.) Which of your characters do you see yourself the most in/you best relate to?

I think I’m a lot like Parker – we both work hard to seem like we have it all together when really we’re just hoping it all doesn’t all fall apart at the seams. I’m also a bit Kiki-like, or at least I wish I could be some days – kind of like the world revolves around me and there’s no reason to believe otherwise. Ikea is a perfectionist and deeply charitable and brilliant. Unfortunately I can only aspire to be like her. Plum is uber-cool, very laid back and punky-stylish without having to try too hard. I’m sort of Plum in my imagination.

3.) If you had one day to spend 1 million dollars, what would you buy?

Clothes. But at the end of the day, I’d wish I’d said chocolate…but at the end of the chocolate, I’d wish I’d said savings bonds…but after the savings bonds, I’d wish I’d said clothes. So I’m sticking with clothes.

4.) Mac or PC?

MAC!!!

5.) What is the best part about being a writer?

Getting to invent a world that didn’t exist before and then inviting people to come in.

***
 
Thanks Jennifer!
 
-M.

No comments: