Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hold Me Closer Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
by Lish McBride


# of Pages: 352
Age Range: 14/15+
From: Publisher
Rating: 3.7/5


Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.



Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

I was fortunate enough to snag a copy of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer at BEA and then have the publisher send me a second copy a few weeks ago. The plot sounded like a funny paranormal read and one day when I was in the mood to read something humorous, I picked up a copy and gave this book a try.

I was fortunate enough to snag a copy of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer at BEA and then have the publisher send me a second copy a few weeks ago. The plot sounded like a funny paranormal read and one day when I was in the mood to read something humorous, I picked up a copy and gave this book a try.



I couldn't help but like college drop out, Sam, the naive main character in this debut novel. I found him funny and loved how close he and his friends were. Apparently you can make some serious bonds over burgers. When Sam's life is on the line after he catches the attention of Douglas - the council's leader and strongest necromancer in the area, it seems that Sam's already dead, especially when he is captured and held prisoner in Douglas's evil basement. Luckily for Sam he has a loving family and great friends who will stop at nothing to save him - not that he' alone. With him in the basement is a gorgeous werewolf hybrid who is desperate for company.

This novel has a very original plot - which I liked, and I really enjoyed the characters. My problem with this book however is that the ending felt very rushed, I didn't feel like I got to know some of the characters as well as I should have and the climax seemed like the first part to a bigger climax, except it wasn't... Needless to say, I did enjoy this book, and I thought it was extremely funny and original. I just wish the ending had been better executed.

Still, I'm hoping for a sequel!

If you liked this novel be sure to check out:

Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)
The Replacement
Eighth Grade Bites (Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, Book 1)

Visit Lish McBride HERE

-M.

No comments: