Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Exiled Queen

Exiled Queen, The (A Seven Realms Novel)Exiled Queen, The (A Seven Realms Novel)
by Cinda Williams Chima

# of Pages: 592
Age range: 13/14+
Rating: 5/5
From: Bought.

Haunted by the loss of his mother and sister, Han Alister journeys south to begin his schooling at Mystwerk House in Oden’s Ford.   But leaving the Fells doesn’t mean danger isn’t far behind.  Han is hunted every step of the way by the Bayars, a powerful wizarding family set on reclaiming the amulet Han stole from them.  And Mystwerk House has dangers of its own.  There, Han meets Crow, a mysterious wizard who agrees to tutor Han in the darker parts of sorcery—but the bargain they make is one Han may regret. 

Meanwhile, Princess Raisa ana’Marianna runs from a forced marriage in the Fells, accompanied by her friend Amon and his triple of cadets.  Now, the safest place for Raisa is Wein House, the military academy at Oden's Ford.  If Raisa can pass as a regular student, Wein House will offer both sanctuary and the education Raisa needs to succeed as the next Gray Wolf queen.   

I have been dying to read this ever since I finished the previous book, The Demon King, last September. Much to my disappointment all three libraries I go to did not have this book available so I bought it online. In general I much rather prefer a solid copy of a book, I have tried reading on the kindle and Ipad and for whatever reason the digital version of a book just doesn't beat good old paper. Regardless, my reading experience didn't take away from this amazing story, and I am so glad I didn't wait and read this when I did.

The Exiled Queen picks up pretty much right after The Demon King ended, both Raisa and Han are traveling to Oden's Ford and are adjusting to their new lives. The beginning was probably the slowest part of the book - which isn't that slow let me tell you, it's just not as fast paced as other parts. Still, immediately I fell in love with the characters once again and was amazed by their vividness and depth.
Throughout the book many new surprises are revealed and we see the characters make some of the hardest choices of their lives. Relationships will be built, and broken; blood will be spilt, and pages will certainly be turned.

The plot was intricately crafted, as usual. I love when authors are able to create a world that you can practically live in yourself through the writing, it amazes me to no end how they can weave in characters, plot, and this whole new world with power shifts, government, and culture all into one book without ever sacrificing another part. Cinda Williams Chima is the kind of writer that inspires me to write.

With a cliff hanger ending, it kills me that I have to wait a whole year for the next installment, but it's worth it! If you haven't tried this series I strongly recommend it, there's action, adventure, romance, and magic! A must read for fantasy lovers!

If you liked this book be sure to check out:

The Heir Chronicles Box Set
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Trilogy, Book 1)
Boxed Set (Books 1-7) and Hogwarts Express
Graceling
Fire (Graceling)
Incarceron (Incarceron, Book 1)

Visit Cinda Williams Chima here

-M.

No comments: