Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mostly Good Girls + Contest

By Leila Sales

Age Range: 13/14+
# of Pages: 368
Rating: 4/5
From: BEA

The higher you aim, the farther you fall….
It’s Violet’s junior year at the Westfield School. She thought she’d be focusing on getting straight As, editing the lit mag, and figuring out how to talk to boys without choking on her own saliva. Instead, she’s just trying to hold it together in the face of cutthroat academics, her crush’s new girlfriend, and the sense that things are going irreversibly wrong with her best friend, Katie.

When Katie starts making choices that Violet can’t even begin to fathom, Violet has no idea how to set things right between them. Westfield girls are trained for success—but how can Violet keep her junior year from being one huge, epic failure?


I was walking through the S&S booth during BEA when I saw this one lone book tucked in the back of a miniature book shelf. The book lover in me pitied the poor book and I reached out to perhaps move it somewhere more...filled? When I saw the cover however I was a little surprised. With legs like that maybe this book wasn't so lonely after all! But after skimming the back I decided, lonely or not, this book was coming home with me. 

Fate emailed me one day in September asking if I wanted to do a tour for this book and I heartily agreed. I had my own copy, I had been wanting to read it for awhile, this was just the push I needed. So then...I read the book.
Mostly Good Girls is set in an all girls private school near Boston, MA. Violet, our leading lady is just like any other over-achieving private school girl who doesn't come from buckets of money - boy deprived, over-worked, and struggling to make it all work. I can relate. Mostly Good Girls follows the life of Violet through the first half of her junior year and the challenges she goes through with friends, boys, making the right choices, and ultimately being true to yourself and who you want to be.

Even though I didn't particularly love Violet herself, I could relate to her, and I think a lot of teens will be able to as well. Actually, it's kind of creepy how much the two of have in common - not personality wise necessarily, but lifestyle wise. Both of us go to all girls private schools in MA, and the school described in Mostly Good Girls is literally just like my own! And the things that happen in the school - they really do happen in real life! I was comparing the two the whole story!

Back to the book though, I loved the writing and the characters in this book, especially Violet and Katie's friendship (pre-fighting that is). The ending was perfect as well and I felt a good sense of closure. 

I definitely  recommend this book for people looking for a good, humorous, YA read. If you liked this book be sure to check out: 


Visit Leila Sales HERE


*Contest!*

5 copies of Mostly Good Girls are up for grabs, generously donated from S&S!

Contest Ends 11/30/10!

Enter HERE

Open to US/Canada only.

-M.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this international?:)

Fi-chan (Bookish-Escape) said...

thank you :D

Klemocius said...

This book sounds great ! :)
Thanks for the contest