Thursday, November 4, 2010

Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy
Paranormalcy
by Kiersten White


# of Pages: 352
Age range: 13+
Rating: 4/5

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours. Firelight



But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.


So much for normal

I was fortunate enough to win an ARC of Paranormalcy from James at Book Chic, and even though it took me awhile for me to get around to reading it, Paranormalcy was worth the wait. The cover alone was enough to make my wish list alone, but the awesome and original plot was what sold me. I am officially a Kiersten White fan!


Paranormalcy starts off with main character Evie kicking some vampire butt on one of her missions. Her unique talent - being able to see through glamours - makes her a key member of the international paranormal containment agency (IPCA for short). Evie never questions her duty or her place among the IPCA, and seems perfectly content with her mermaid best friend and highschool drama shows. But when a new paranormal is put behind bars, one that gains Evie's trust and heart, she starts to question the life she has at the IPCA and what exactly she is.

I loved Evie, she was such a bright character that made me smile. Her replacement of swear words with "Beep" was funny and unique. I especially loved her relationship with Lend  - he made her grow as a character, and they had great chemistry while still remaining sweet and not steamy. I even liked Reth - Evie's ex faerie boyfriend - despite his kidnapping habit.

On the novel side, the original and captivating plot kept me glued to the book and the fun yet mature writing made the novel entertaining without being annoyingly sweet. The only complaints I would  hwould be that it was hard to get a good image of what Lend looked like - and that  I still am not e sure what Evie is exactly. But, more shall be explained in novel number 2, Supernaturally coming summer 2011!

If you like this book be sure to check out:


Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, Book 1)
Matched
The Candidates (Delcroix Academy, Book 1)
Personal Demons
Dead Beautiful

Visit Kiersten White here

-M.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I really enjoyed this book as well, and like you, loved Evie and Lend's relationship. It felt different from a lot of YA relationships:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we had similar feelings on this one!